Monday, January 4, 2010

Mochi Shawl complete: casting on with Cocoknits!

So last night I completed my Mini Mochi Shawl!
It took roughly five balls of Mini Mochi, ((I used their "Intense Rainbow" yarn.)) Which actually came out incredibly nice. It's very soft, it's warm, and the intensity of the rainbow made it look like something from a travel show. ((I was jokingly calling it my "La Paz" shawl because when my husband and I were watching an old Top Gear special, we saw a woman in La Paz who had a big bag made in very similar colors. ))
So I was pleased to be able to say that I was able to finish a shawl from the broadest end down, even though most patterns go the other way and use an increasing stitch. The one thing you have to watch out for in doing it this way is that you're not decreasing too fast, and making a shawl thats too trunkated to be useful or fun.

I have also now cast on for a "Yvonne" vestm as by Coco Knits. It's a lovely looking pattern, and the end result will be for my mother. I'm knitting it in Rowans "Wool Cotton", though on a SLIGHTLY smaller needle size than called for by the pattern. ((Size five instead of size six)). Most of the vest will be a light cinnamon color, with an cream outer ring.
So far it looks like it should be pretty straight forward, but I have to note:
If you are planning on taking this pattern as a travel project: WRITE DOWN THE ABBREVIATION TRANSLATIONS.
They are not in fact included as part of the print out, so anyone who does not know this, and figures on taking it on a trip, could be in for a nasty surprise. Fortunately I don't have such limited access, but I figured it was still worth a heads up, since every other pattern I've worked with has included the translations as a foot note. Probably in case of ye old traveling knitter.
This by no means makes the pattern not worth trying, but if you're going to do it, just be aware of this little foible.

Looks like the site also has some cool other new patterns that will go up at some point, but it'll be a while before I can go after them. Limited budget and all, and after this month: probably limited time and attention span as I get used to being a mom.

I'll try and keep everyone posted, and if I can, I'll get my husband to help me take a picture of the Mini Mochi Shawl so people can actually see.

No comments:

Post a Comment