Sunday, October 17, 2010

I'm Blue da ba dee ba da dah

So one of the yarns I bought at the Sheep and Wool Festival was some naturally dyed homespun. Actually I bought two different blues, but only one of them became an issue.

The darker blue yarn immediately 'showed it's true colors' on winding, staining Tilmani's hands and mine. It continued in this bent when I started knitting with it, attempting a 'Mystery Afghan' pattern I'd been given a while ago.

My fingers were blue, my nails were blue, my palms were blue... my NEEDLES turned blue...

Oh and the couch cushion started to turn blue. JUST by having the ball of yarn sitting on it.

Needless to say after this discovery, I bound off what I'd done instead of trying to switch colors and continue, and went through the work of doing what apparently HADN'T been done properly to begin with, and got the extra dye rinsed out. Or that's what I'm hoping anyway. I put it in the bathroom as an attempt at blocking, and you guys might laugh because we actually used one of our baby gates that's not currently in action.

Have a look!

2 comments:

  1. Who's laughing, if it works...hey, use it! This is crocheted (is that right?)isn't it? It looks GREAT, were you able to get the dye from bleeding? Sheep and wool festival, and you didn't take pictures! Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a picture on my Husbands Cell phone? ^_^;;;
    If we go again next year I'll try and get pictures of Mini and the Animals. <3

    Also beleive it or not that was actually knitted! I'm all revved up now to try knitting a lace project. I found a beautiful designer on Ravelry who has a LOT of really stunning lace knits for free, and I was even more amused that he made some based on the Pern Series. I'm torn between trying the knits "Spanish Armada" ((The center is based on an spanish tile and the exterior on the 'waves' of the English Channel)), and "Threadfall".

    I think we've gotten the bleeding stopped, or anyway it hasn't soaked into the baby gate. We got a LOT of dye out though!

    ReplyDelete