Friday, July 27, 2012

Pretty String

 So I did my first venture into yarn dying on the stove. I didn't use Jaquard dyes, which are the more professional version, partially because they're toxic so to use them it's really a good idea to have pots and stuff that are just dedicated to their use, and since I wasn't sure how I'd like doing it... so that wasn't a great idea at the time.

 I over dyed one skein (colored over color) and dyed two others. ((I'd post the information but the tags were 'vanished' by the yarn Mafia ((the kids))

 We used food coloring and vinegar, and put it in a pot on the stove, since using food coloring requires acid (the vinegar) and heat (the stove) to set.

 We learned a couple important things: One is that yarn, especially for over dying, sucks up food coloring like it's going out of style, especially if you want a rich, dark color. Second we discovered why you're supposed to make sure a skein is tied in several places before soaking it, because my first one came only tied in one place, I didn't add more ties... and it's going to be a 'Please untangle this' project for the husband.

 I'll show you some pics later when I finish knitting up the green one ((assuming I actually have enough for the shawlette I'm trying to use it for.)) But here's everything!




No comments:

Post a Comment