Friday, December 2, 2011

A little Victorian


So I've gotten draft two done on the Moving Forward Mits. There will be a draft three, but this time it won't be for the thumb issue, which seems to be pretty much resolved. I knitted this one in Caron Simply Soft since it's supposed to be the same weight as the hideous JoJoland I used the first time ((actually it seems to make a slightly larger glove...)) and it was single colored which I figured would set off the lace pattern much better. I also made some changes to the center stretch of the lace repeat, which help emphasize the yarn-overs and decreases and the patterns they make. I'm kind of proud of the result!

 The Third draft will be to add a greater length to the wrist ((just adding more repeats of the basic lace pattern, and to ditch the mini picot bind off at the top. It's cute and gives the glove an adorably Victorian feel, but it's also impractical on certain levels, especially since the intended recipient drives Stick, so really these need to be useful and good at 'holding' the hand so they don't get caught up on car bits.

 I've designed super simple fingerless mits before, way back when I first started knitting, but nothing at this level, so I am, if I do say so myself, VERY pleased with myself. It's no Snow Queen Pi shawl, but hell, I think it looks pretty damn good.

2 comments:

  1. Personally: I'd make them longer so they'd go inside the cuffs of my coat, then use them as light but warm driving mits to keep my palms off of very cold steering wheels and shifters. Otherwise I'd wear them as a light winter dressy item. Not really designed with shoveling in mind, but they could be adapted to have a full thumb and finger-cap, or even fingers. Otherwise I guess they'd look good dressed up with formal winter wear, or a bit more casual with a comfy sweater and jeans. It would depend also on the color and weight of the finished yarn. They'd be totally different gloves in, say, rainbow, than they are in white.

    ReplyDelete