Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sausage Casserole and Soapbox.

 I made a Potato-Sausage casserole last night as an attempt at a new recipie, it actually came out pretty well, but the potatoes actually needed to cook longer. ((I've noticed that problem with some of Taste of Homes recipes that involve potatoes.)) Also if you *cough* happen to use spicy sausage... leave out the pepper. It was good enough though that we'll probably do a second run at it.

 Otherwise: sorry, I'm rambling today.

 I felt a bit like Geek-Ebert yesterday with the giant Zombie blog, which was kinda fun ((G-Ebert. ;) )), although I felt more growly later when a topic came up on Ravelry about Bullying. I am happy that people are becoming more concious of the enormous harm it can do, but I'm a little annoyed but one of the current blanket assumptions I keep seeing.
 "All Bullies must automatically have abusive/terrible parents."

 I'm sorry... but I flatly CAN'T agree with that as a blanket truth. I'm sure a number of them do. But not all of them, there's just no way. It doesn't take an abusive parent to make certain children crave authority, power, and the 'respect' they earn from making others feel that they are supreme above all others. True, many of these bullies are cripplingly insecure, especially among the girls, but that doesn't mean they come from bad homes. It may mean they've made bad choices, that they've wrapped themselves up in the illusion that the tangled and barbed knot of peer pressure and the urge to climb to the top of the heap by beating down everyone around them actually will MEAN something once they've left school... but it doesn't mean they were abused.

 It's the goddamn Lord of the Flies. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a little savage microcosm, a tiny island where who has the latest fashion, the best sports scores, and the most important parent make or break you, where if you're new, you're a target, because you're a threat to the established order.

 At some point along the line, it is, weather or not people want to admit it, the BULLIES choice to Bully, and something they, personally, need to take responsibility for. That's the only way I see the cycle being broken. You can stand on a soap box all day long and say "I abuse (insert other person here) because Mommy and Daddy abused me", but at the end of the day, you're the one who made the choice to continue the cycle of abuse.

 Blaming everything on the previous generation's actions is only an excuse not to change, and it's a pathetic one.

4 comments:

  1. WOW...are we wound up a LITTTLE to tight or what!

    Great post though, brings back sooo many bad memories for me while in HS. Yes, I was bullied in my junior yr. (1976) by a girl who just happened to "steal" my boyfriend (I was 16 he was 23, he was my "First true love") It was her way of pouring salt into my wounds. (they did get married) She continued this taunting until 1980 when they moved to Canada!!!
    I was extremelly insecure back then, but finally confronted her in 1982, after "HE" divorced her... she moved back home, and was nursing her own wounds with him!!! LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!

    She is now a dried up piece of leather baggage, who chainsmokes, drinks, 3 time divorcee and is single!!

    I would love to tell you WHY he dumped me for her, but...lets just say "she" was a little more experienced in certain areas than I was! (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. LOVE THE NEW BACKGROUND AND TEMPLATE DESIGN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^_^; yeah it's a bit of a sore spot with me. *heh* I just don't like the idea of people being able to pass their actions off to everyone else, especially when they cause so much pain to others. :/
    I suffered through pretty much every grade until college, if I wasn't hiding downstairs at home doing home school, which is what we did for High School. It was literally nightmarish, and kind of retrospectively horrifying that at ten I spent time wondering if it would be better to be -dead- than have to go to school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The potato soup was GREAT, I ate 3 bowls of it and plan to have the rest for lunch today! Great weather here for soup, rainy. Les...well, Les...he refuses to eat soup! Can't understand him sometimes!

    ReplyDelete